The Shanghai Alumni Chapter of the LKY School held its first council meeting of the year on January 30, 2015. It was chaired by Chapter President Ji Xiaoye and Vice-president Geng Jing. During the meeting, members reviewed events that the Chapter had been involved in for the past year, and laid out their plans for 2015.
Members agreed that in 2014, under the leadership of the council, the Chapter forged stronger bonds with the alumni in Shanghai, fulfilled its objectives, and enthusiastically organised Chapter activities to resounding success.
In the past year, the Chapter:
- Successfully organised two Shanghai Overseas Returned Scholars Association (SORSA) research-related events that were focused on development of Shanghai. One of these topics focused on what Shanghai can learn from Singapore’s transport policies, and the second was a symposium on how Shanghai can develop its tourism industry into a global brand name.
- Organised and took part in forums in a bid to spread and inspire new knowledge. The Chapter collaborated with SORSA to organise two forums, titled “Disneyland and the development of Shanghai’s International Toursim and Resorts Zone Development”, and “Lessons learned from urban planning in Singapore”. The Chapter also organised three lectures in the Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, titled “The Raison d’Être and Development of China’s and Shanghai’s Free Economic Zones”, “Future Trends in International Trade and Investment”, and “How Japan’s Fukushima Nuclear Disaster has Impacted Sino-Japanese Relations”. In addition, the Chapter sent a delegation to take part in “2014 CBN Shanghai Pudong New Year Forum” and the 9th International Symposium on “Shanghai Development in the 21st Century”.
- Strengthened inter-varsity collaboration, engaging in lateral collaboration. A team from the Alumni Chapter participated in the “Management and Development” international forum co-organised by the Singapore Management University and Shanghai Fudan University. LKY School alumnus Li Jun (MPAM 2011) was also invited by the Shanghai Alumni of Hong Kong University of Science and Technology to give a talk on finance and investment policies in Free Trade Zones. In addition, several members took part in the “Reinventing China’s model of e-commerce” forum and inter-varsity event co-organised by University of California Berkeley’s Haas School of Business and the National University of Singapore.
- Actively promoted Sino-Singapore relations and bilateral collaboration. The Chapter participated in Singapore’s 49th National Day reception at the Singapore Consulate in Shanghai. Some members were also part of a nighttime musical extravaganza, titled “Friends of Singapore”. Members also co-organised the inaugural Singapore (Shanghai) Carnival along Yandang Road with Singapore Enterprise Centre.
- Increased cohesiveness and bonding within the Chapter. In early 2014, the council, after studying what was done for the Chapter in 2013, engaged in discussions for plans for 2014. The Chapter organised on-site visits to Sunqiao Modern Agricultural Park to better understand operations. The Chapter also encouraged members to take part in badminton matches organised by SORSA.
- Strengthened bonds with the LKY School, and served as the main contact point for visiting teachers from our alma mater. LKY School designed the Chapter’s official logo. The Chapter also welcomed MPAM Programme Director Professor Chen Kang, who was in Shanghai for a visit. The council also vetted the financial accounts of the Alumni Chapter.
At the meeting, council members discussed plans for 2015. The Alumni Chapter plans to review what it has planned, organised or participated in over the past three years, and apply the lessons learned from those events to future happenings. The Chapter will be focusing on the following:
- In accordance with instructions from SORSA and the Chapter’s rules of procedure, the Chapter will conduct a mid-term reorganisation. As it is mid-term in nature, this reorganisation would not be disruptive in order to ensure continuity and stability within the Chapter.
- Conduct a sharing session to talk about lessons learned from organising think-tank projects. Members will also be encouraged to register themselves for 2015’s SORSA think-tank programmes.
- Play to the strengths of being a graduate of the public administration discipline. The Chapter will organise events to help alumni apply what they have learned in a meaningful environment.
- Deepen interactions between members. The Chapter will update the contact list with the new members’ information and strengthen interactions between members. Through activities like sports and academic events, the Chapter aims to facilitate interaction, collaboration and cooperation between members.
- Strengthen ties with the alma mater. The Chapter will continue to pay close attention to developments at the LKY School, and seek to disseminate the faculty’s teachings for the betterment of Shanghai’s development.
- Strengthen interactions and cooperation with Singaporean organisations and enterprises in Shanghai. The Chapter hopes to achieve tangible results from these initiatives.
National University of Singapore LKYSPP Shanghai Alumni Chapter
会议认为，2014年校友会在总会领导下，团结在沪广大校友，践行校友会宗旨，在社会各界支持下，积极开展活动，工作成效显著。 一是圆满承接2个SORSA智库研究项目，为上海发展建言献策。“新加坡交通治理经验和对上海的启示”课题和“上海旅游产业的国际化品牌形象塑造研讨会”已圆满完成研究任务。 二是举办和参加论坛，传播新知启迪灵感。分别与总会联合举办了主题为“迪斯尼项目与上海国际旅游度假区发展”、“新加坡城市管理的启示”的SORSA论坛；在上海中医药大学举办3期讲座，主题分别为“中国（上海）自贸区的存在与发展”、“国际贸易与投资的未来发展趋势”和“日本福岛核灾难对中日关系的影响”；组织校友参加“2014第一财经上海浦东新年论坛”、第九届“中华学人与21世纪上海发展”研讨会等。 三是加强校际合作，扩大横向交流与合作。组织校友出席新加坡管理大学——复旦大学“治理和发展”国际论坛；李军校友应邀为香港科大上海校友会做自贸区金融和投资政策的讲座；组织校友参加了由加州大学伯克利分校哈斯商学院、新加坡国立大学商学院共同主办的“中国互联网商业模式创新”论坛暨校际联谊活动。 四是积极对外交流，促进中新友谊与合作。应新加坡驻沪总领事馆邀请，出席了新加坡共和国成立49周年国庆招待会；应新加坡驻沪总领事馆邀请，部分校友参加了“新加坡之友”晚场音乐会活动；与新加坡企业中心联手，在雁荡路步行休闲街主办首届新加坡（上海）嘉年华活动等。 五是凝心聚力，提高组织凝聚力。2014年初，理事会对2013年校友会工作进行了总结分析，对2014年工作进行了讨论和安排。组织校友到孙桥现代农业园区考察、交流。组织校友参加SORSA总会羽毛球赛。 六是联络母校，接待母校老师来访。母校设计本会专门logo，授权本会使用。组织校友欢迎母校高级公共行政与管理硕士（MPAM）项目主任陈抗教授来访等。理事会上还审议了校友会财务收支情况。
会议对校友会2015年工作安排进行了讨论。2015年，校友会将在总结前3年工作基础上，结合前期各项工作的继续深入，重点围绕以下方面，进一步打开局面： 一是根据总会的部署和校友会议事规则，进行届中调整。因属届中调整，原则上不大动，以保持工作连续性和稳定性。 二是举办智库项目成果报告会。并倡导广大校友积极申报2015年度的SORSA智库项目。 三是发挥学习公共政策专业的优势。拟组织考察交流，开拓广大校友将所学所知所长应用实践的空间。 四是加深校友情谊。结合新进会员的联络组织，加强会员联谊，通过文体活动组织、学术活动等各类活动，促进校友会广大会员相互联系、协助与合作。 五是加强与母校联系。关心母校发展，继续探求充分引进、发挥母校老师的智力优势，为促进上海发展贡献力量。 六是进一步加强与新加坡驻沪机构、企业的联系与合作，争取有实质性成果。