In Asia, the imperial succession in Japan was marked by its first abdication in more than two centuries, while in Thailand a three-day coronation – after the king married the deputy head of his personal security detail – included a procession and a public holiday.
And in Africa: Protestors in Algeria were worried about the persistence of the old ruling elite and the influence of the military despite the departure of former president Abdelaziz Bouteflika, the conclusion of controversial parliamentary elections in Benin led to the deployment of soldiers against hundreds of protestors, and protestors in Sudan join in a sit-in outside the country’s defence ministry.
- A regional summit in Germany concluded with Kosovo and Serbia agreeing to continue talks to resolve their current conflict.
- A beluga whale found off the coast of Norway has been potentially identified as being trained by the Russian navy.
- National elections in Spain resulted in no outright winner, even as the incumbent Socialist party of the prime minister – who will have to assemble a coalition with other parties – won the largest share of the vote. Far-right party Vox continued its electoral gains.
- In the United Kingdom, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson was fired for allegedly leaking sensitive information about the government’s review and plant to use telecommunications equipment by Huawei. Mr. Williamson strongly denies the allegation.
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange – who was arrested last month after spending seven years inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London, the United Kingdom (UK) – was sentenced by a UK court to 50 weeks in jail for breaching bail in 2012.
- Local elections in the United Kingdom also resulted in significant losses for the Conservatives and some losses for Labour.
The Middle East
- The Israel Defence Forces reported that Gaza militants fired approximately 90 rockets towards Israel within an hour.
- In the Middle East, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria released an 18-minute video of its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- A shooting a Californian synagogue left one congregant dead. A man was detained in connection to the shooting.
- A shooting on a university campus in North Carolina left two people killed.
Latin AmericaThis roundup was written by Kwan Jin Yao (Master in Public Policy, 2017) and covers news summaries across six regions: Africa, the Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, North America, and South America.
This article was first published at https://kwanjinyao.com/2019/05/06/the-weekly-global-roundup-royal-coronations-in-asia-political-violence-in-africa-april-29-to-may-4-2019/
If you’re interested in reading such content, subscribe here.