2 to 5 years of work experience is preferred. Candidates should demonstrate maturity and commitment towards the public service. Proficiency in written and spoken English is a must.
The selection procedures are stringent as the programme is an intensive professional course of study leading to positions of responsibility.
Criteria for Selection
To be selected, applicants must meet the following 2 criteria:
- Intellectual distinction
Demonstrated by prior academic achievement, recommendations and analytic training
- Personal character and leadership capabilities
Demonstrated by prior achievements in extracurricular, civic or community activities and employment history through recommendations
To be considered for the Master in Public Policy programme, you must have either:
- A National University of Singapore degree with at least 2nd-class honours, upper division or an equivalent degree, such as a 4-year Bachelor degree with an average grade of B or better
- A good Bachelor degree
Other qualifications and experience may be accepted subject to approval by the NUS Board of Graduate Studies. Applicants should preferably have some background in economics and mathematics.
Please note that meeting the minimum requirements do not imply automatic admission into the programme.
Standardised Test Scores
TOEFL /IELTS is mandatory for all applicants except those with Bachelor’s degree conducted entirely in English.
While the Admissions Committee does not set minimum scores for admissibility, experience suggests that successful applicants usually achieve or exceed the following scores:
- 600 on the TOEFL paper-based test
- 100 on the TOEFL internet-based test
- 7.0 on the IELTS academic test
For more information about the TOEFL or IELTS, and for instructions on registering, please visit their respective websites: TOEFL and IELTS. Scores for the TOEFL and IELTS are valid for two years.
Application and required documents
Applicants are required to submit an online application. The following documents (in soft copies) are required when submitting an application.
- Official Transcripts and Certificates
- Curriculum vitae or Resume
- TOEFL / IELTS*
- GRE / GMAT (optional)
- 2 essays (click here for the essay questions)
- 2 letters of references – 1 professional reference and/or 1 academic reference
* TOEFL / IELTS is mandatory for all applicants except those with Bachelor’s degree conducted entirely in English.
Click here for the detailed requirements of each document.
Aside from the comprehensive information on our admissions page, if you have any other queries or would like to receive a copy of our programme brochure, please submit your request via our query form. Alternatively, you may also speak to our admissions officers at +65 65168004.