HLA-TW 2018 Case Writing Competition
Real World Problems, Real Policy Solutions
The aim of the HLA-TW 2018 Case Writing Competition (“Competition”) is to provide young Taiwanese (R.O.C) graduates a platform to showcase their critical thinking and problem solving skills through a study concerning contemporary issues in Asia. The Case Writing Competition (“Competition”) is organised by the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (LKY School) (“Organiser”) and is made possible by Dr Allen Lai and Dr Ruby Huang (“Donor”).
- Open to all Taiwanese (R.O.C) graduates between the ages of 24 to 35 and preferably from Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO).
- The Organiser and the Donor reserves the sole and absolute discretion to exclude or disqualify any Participant(s) and/or entry from the Competition.
- The case study entry may be on any topic from any country within Asia. The case should be related to public policy based on a real-life situation.
- Interested candidates must submit their Resume and a Case Executive Summary for the proposed case study by the stipulated deadline.
- The case entry must be in English and be an original work that has not been previously submitted elsewhere.
- The Case Executive Summary must not exceed 1500 words.
- Use Calibri font throughout the document. For text in the main body, a font size of 12 should be used. For footnotes and references, please use font size 10. Use single‐spacing throughout the document.
- Please leave a single blank line before and after each paragraph and one space after each full‐stop. Please align the paragraphs to the left with no indentations.
- The Case Executive Summary should contain the following elements, which should be modified as necessary:
- Introduction – this should introduce the case to the reader and explain the central theme of the case.
- Problem – this should contain information about the case situation and the problem in more detail.
- Policy Options – this should mention some of the policy options being considered and related discussion.
- Exhibits (optional and not part of the word count) – these should include necessary tables, references, graphs, timelines etc. that help to elaborate the case study or provide more detailed data for analysis.
The sources for each Exhibit should be properly cited and necessary copyright permissions obtained where necessary. The use of multi‐media like photos and videos is encouraged.
- Submission must be in Microsoft Word document format via email to the Organiser (decb64_bGt5c3BwY2FzZXdyaXRpbmdAbnVzLmVkdS5zZw==_decb64) by the stipulated deadline, 31 August 2018, 23:59 SGT.
Review of Submissions & Shortlisted Candidates
- All entries will be reviewed by a panel of judges and a list of candidates will be selected.
- Shortlisted candidates are to submit a short video clip (no more than 15 minutes of duration) of their Case and submit the link of the video together with a one-page Motivation letter to the Organiser (decb64_bGt5c3BwY2FzZXdyaXRpbmdAbnVzLmVkdS5zZw==_decb64). Deadline for the submission will be informed by the Organiser to the shortlisted candidates.
- The top three candidates will be informed via email by the Organiser and will be invited to present their Case at a Networking Lunch in Taipei.
- These three candidates have to be present in Taiwan at the time of the Networking Lunch.
- The top winning entry will receive a cash prize of S$1,500.
- The 2nd and the 3rd runner-up will receive a cash prize of S$800 and S$500 respectively.
- The competition judges, the Donor and a LKY School faculty, will evaluate the case studies on the following criteria, which carry equal weightage.
Case Content Richness
The ability to present a clear distinguishable problem or issue with rich information that encourages discussion or debate
The accuracy of the research and data; the manner of presentation of the data; the writing style; logical flow of the summary of the case, abstract
Case Utility/ Relevance
The relevance of the topic, the impact, scalability and sustainability for helping community/ country
Deadline for competition registration and submission of Resume and Case Executive Summary
31 August 2018
Deadline for submission of short video clip and motivation letter
Early October 2018
Top three candidates to be informed by Organiser
Mid October 2018
Networking Lunch and Presentation of Awards
- The Participant retains full copyright of the case study entered for the Competition.
- The Organiser reserves the right to use, reproduce, publish, print, edit and distribute any case study submitted for the Competition without obtaining further prior permission and payment of any fees or royalty to the Participant.
- Where any case study of a Participant is published by the Organiser, the Participant will be credited.
Case Preparation and Resources
- In preparing of the case study submission, participant may explore any credible and reputable public source of information, such as books or articles, search libraries, use of Internet, and so forth.