Research Fellow / Research Associate in Social Policy
The Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, an autonomous graduate school within the National University of Singapore, invites applications for the position of Research Fellow. The commencement date is immediate but negotiable.
Applicants in all areas of public policy or social policy will be considered. Candidates with a background in development studies, public health or comparative public policy, are particularly encouraged to apply. A substantive background in social, economic and developmental issues in Asia is also advantageous.
The Research Fellow / Research Associate will be an integral part of a team working on NUS-supported research projects in social policy. The projects have several distinctive parts:
- monitoring of environmental, social protection and health systems developments, bilateral and multilateral development-related programs, formal public activities governing environmental, social protection and health services in Asia with deep analysis of related factors; and
- active monitoring and analysis of specific indicators of environmental, social protection and health systems development.
The Research Fellow / Research Associate will be responsible for daily scanning of media, conferences, policy reports and announcements, parliamentary debates, ministerial and thought-leader speeches as they relate to social sector developments, ideational changes or emergent policy directions. In addition, the Research Fellow will undertake a weekly literature review of academic and professional papers within the sector, highlighting relevant analyses for the sector. The Research Fellow will help prepare materials for the Team Leader and collaborate in the production of research findings and reports.
Additional duties will include the dissemination of research findings, development of a distribution date base, conducting interviews with relevant stakeholders and gauging reactions to development issues and policy announcements or debates.
The Research Fellow / Research Associate may be required to undertake some travel in the region.
Essential Qualifications & Requirements
- Master’s degree in public or social policy or public health or related field
- Strong analytical, methodological and conceptual skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Effective interpersonal skills that contribute to strong team processes
- Demonstrated skills in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook software programs
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Proficiency in a second language or other Asian language
- Competitive salary
- Collegiate working environment with an internationally diverse faculty
- Ability to conduct research and publish
- Excellent administrative support
- Located in Asia’s leading School of Public Policy
Applicants should submit, in electronic form (MS Word or PDF file);
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- A certified copy of academic transcripts
- The names, addresses, phone numbers and email contact details of at least 3 referees
- A brief statement of research experience
- A statement addressing the “required” and “desirable” attributes (above)
Electronic Submissions can be made at the following email address:
Applicants may submit hard copies to the following address:
Manager, Human Resources
Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy
National University of Singapore
469C Bukit Timah Road
Only short listed candidates will be notified.
For further enquires please contact Professor Phua Kai Hong. Voice: +65 6516-1540. Email: