IPS Past Events 1996
|The activities of IPS in 1996 included the organisation of:|
- 2nd US-Singapore Consultative Group Meeting jointly organised by CSIS (Center for Strategic & International Studies, Washington, DC) and IPS, Singapore, 4 to 5 February 1996.
- IPS-IMO (International Maritime Organisation) International Conference on "Navigational Safety and Control of Pollution in the Straits of Malacca and Singapore: Modalities of International Co-operation", Singapore, 2 to 3 September 1996.
- Second Japan-Singapore Symposium, jointly organised by APIC (Association for Interanational Cooperation, Japan) and IPS, 31 October - 2 November 1996.
- IPS Conference on "Singapore: The Year in Review 1995", 22 January 1996.
|Public Lectures / Forums|
- IPS-KSECC Luncheon cum Policy Address on "Towards the 21st Century: Partnership for the Prosperity of Asia" by HE Mr Kim Young Sam, President of the Republic of Korea, 29 February 1996.
- IPS Public Lecture on "Emerging Trends In East Asia: New Directions in World Bank’s Partnership" by Mr James D Wolfensohn, President of the World Bank, 10 May 1996.
- IPS Public Lecture on "Mexico and Southeast Asia: A Vision for Partnership" by HE Mr Jose Angel Gurria, Foreign Minister of Mexico, 4 July 1996.
- IPS Forum on "National Health Expenditure & Population Ageing", 2 August 1996.
- IPS Public Lecture on "Four Years After the Earth Summit: An Assessment" by Mr Maurice Strong, Chairman, The Earth Council, 8 October 1996.
- Discussion with CIVICUS, 15 January 1995.
- Discussion on "A Preview of 1996 US Presidential and Congressional Elections", with US Congressional Staffers, Donald L Hardy, Dave Gribbin and Kira Finkler, 18 January 1996.
- Discussion on "Live Reef Fish Trade in Asia" with Ms Carol Fox, Director of Program Development, Nature Conservancy, 24 January 1996.
- Discussion on "The Future of Euro-Asian Ties: A German Perspective" with Dr Horst Teltschik, Head, Economic & Political Department, Board of Directors, BMW, 10 April 1996.
- Discussion with Vietnamese Delegation under auspices of UNDP in Vietnam, 13 April 1996.
- Discussion on "The Longevity Revolution: Lessons from the US and Japan" with Dr Robert N Butler, 2 May 1996.
- Discussion on the Launch of the Human Development Report 1996, 9 July 1996.
- Discussion on "Campaign 96: The American Elections" with Dr Alfred Balitzer, 6 August 1996.
- Discussion on Trans-Cultural Reconciliation" with Dr Charles Hampden-Turner, 16 August 1996.
- Discussion on "Energy & the Environment in Rapidly Industrialising Countries" with Professor Thomas Schelling, Lee Kuan Yew Distinguished Visitor, 19 August 1996.
- IPS-World Bank China Roundtable discussion with Dr Nicholas Hope, Mr Davin Mackenzie, Mr Klaus Rohland and Mr Richard Scurfield, 6 September 1996.
- Discussion on "Singapore, our Dream Home" with Young Singaporeans, 10 December 1996.
- US Congressional Staffers, Donald L Hardy, Dave Gribbin and Kira Finkler, 18 January 1996.
- Mr Lee Boon Yang, Minister for Labour, 23 February 1996.
- Mr Lam Peck Heng, Singapore High Commissioner to India, 27 February 1996.
- HE Mr Amando Q Madamba, Executive Director, APEC Secretariat, 13 March 1996.
- Mr John Sawhill, President & CEO, and Ms Carol Fox, Director of Program Development, The Nature Conservancy, 29 March 1996.
- HE Dr Karl Spalcke, Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany, 11 April 1996.
- Prof J K Mittal and Dr Poovmina Advani of Bombay University, 12 April 1996.
- Mr James D Wolfensohn, President, The World Bank, 10 May 1996.
- Dr Pang Eng Fong, Singapore’s Ambassador-designate to Brussels, 19 June 1996.
- Prof Chan Heng Chee, Director, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies and Executive Director, Singapore International Foundation, 24 June 1996.
- Mr Joseph Koh, Singapore’s Trade Representative-designate to Taipei, 8 July 1996.
- HE Mr Alberto Encomienda, Ambassador of the Philippines, 25 July 1996.
- Mr Lam Peck Heng, Singapore’s High Commissioner-designate to New Zealand, and BG Chin Siat Yoon, Singapore’s Ambassador-designate to the Federal Republic of Germany, 2 August 1996.
- Prof Walter Falcon, Director, Institute for International Studies, Stanford University, California, USA, 4 August 1996.
- Dr Alfred Balitzer, Claremont Graduate School & Claremont McKenna College, California, USA, 6 August 1996.
- Ms Susan Heinz, Vice-President, Contemporary Affairs & Corporate Programs, The Asia Society, New York, 12 August 1996.
- HE Mr Park Sang Seek, Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, 13 August 1996.
- Mr Ong Keng Yong, Ambassador-Designate to India, 14 August 1996.
- Prof Thomas Schelling, Lee Kuan Yew Distinguished Visitor, 19 August 1996.
- Prof Geraldine Kenney-Wallace, Senior Fellow, Joseph L Rotman Centre for International Business, University of Toronto, Canada, 5 September 1996.
- Mr Calvin Eu, Director, Directorate III, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and BG Patrick Choy, Ambassador-Designate to the Union of Myanmar, 16 September 1996.
- Prof Jagdish Bhagwati, Arthur Lehman Professor of Economics and Professor of Political Science, Columbia University, City of New York, USA, 20 September 1996.
- Mr Philip Hall, Chairman of the Board, CH2M Hill Companies Ltd, 7 October 1996.
- Ms Alice Young, Chair, Asia Pacific Practice of Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hays & Handler, New York, 7 November 1996.
- Executive Briefing on "The Outcome of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM)" by Dr Lee Tsao Yuan, 8 March 1996.
- IPS Briefing to 1995-1996 White House Fellows, 8 May 1996.
- IPS Briefing to participants of Ministry of Foreign Affairs Foundation Course, 12 August 1996.
- IPS Briefing to the Press on the Launch of the World Investment Report 1996, 24 September 1996.
- IPS Executive Briefing on the Outcome of the World Trade Organization Ministerial Meeting, 14 December 1996.