Kishore Mahbubani 马凯硕
Dean and Professor in the Practice of Public Policy
MA, Dalhousie University
- Contact Details
DID: +65 6516 5450
Fax: +65 6777 7020
- Office Location
469C Bukit Timah Road
Level 3M, Oei Tiong Ham Building
A student of philosophy and history, Prof Kishore Mahbubani has had the good fortune of enjoying a career in government and, at the same time, in writing on public issues. With the Singapore Foreign Service from 1971 to 2004, he had postings in Cambodia (where he served during the war in 1973-74), Malaysia, Washington DC and New York, where he served two stints as Singapore’s Ambassador to the UN and as President of the UN Security Council in January 2001 and May 2002. He was Permanent Secretary at the Foreign Ministry from 1993 to 1998. Currently, he is the Dean and Professor in the Practice of Public Policy at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy of the National University of Singapore. Concurrently, Prof Mahbubani continues to serve in Boards and Councils of several institutions in Singapore, Europe and North America, including the Yale President’s Council on International Activities, Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs, University of Bocconi International Advisory Committee and Chairman of the Lee Kuan Yew World City Prize Nominating Committee.
In the world of ideas, Prof Mahbubani has spoken and published globally. His articles have appeared in a wide range of journals and newspapers. He is the author of Can Asians Think?, Beyond The Age Of Innocence: Rebuilding Trust between America and the World and The New Asian Hemisphere: The Irresistible Shift of Global Power to the East. His latest book is The Great Convergence: Asia, The West and the Logic of One World. It was selected by the Financial Times as one of the best books of 2013. More information on his writings can be found on www.mahbubani.net.
Prof Mahbubani was awarded the President’s Scholarship in 1967. He graduated with a First Class honours degree in Philosophy from the University of Singapore in 1971. From Dalhousie University, Canada, he received a Masters degree in Philosophy in 1976 and an honorary doctorate in 1995. He spent a year as a fellow at the Center for International Affairs at Harvard University from 1991 to 1992. Prof Mahbubani was also listed as one of the top 100 public intellectuals in the world by Foreign Policy and Prospect magazines in September 2005, and included in the March 2009 Financial Times list of Top 50 individuals who would shape the debate on the future of capitalism. Prof Mahbubani was selected as one of Foreign Policy’s Top Global Thinkers in 2010 and 2011. In 2011, he was described as “the muse of the Asian century”. He was also selected by Prospect magazine as one of the top 50 world thinkers in 2014.
- Asian security
- China-India relations
- International security
- Singapore international relations
- Singapore social policy
- America and the World
- ASEAN and related organisations
- Global geopolitics
- Global governance issues (including the UN and Multilateralism)
- Political and economic developments in Asia
Recent Academic Publications
- Mahbubani, Kishore, “Multilateral Diplomacy”. Oxford Handbook of Modern Diplomacy, eds. Ramesh Thakur, Andrew Cooper and Jorge Heine (Oxford University Press, 2012)
- Mahbubani, Kishore, “The Global Village Has Arrived”. Finance and Development. Washington: International Monetary Fund, 2012.
- Mahbubani, Kishore, Review of “The World Health Organization (WHO)”. Global Public Health, 7, no. 3 (2012). (United Kingdom).
- Mahbubani, Kishore. “The Cultural Myopia of US Social Science”. Harvard International Review, (2010). (United States).
Recent Presentations or Conference Papers
- Mahbubani, Kishore, “Australia’s destiny in the Asian Century: Pain or No Pain?”. Emerging Asia and the future of the US-Australia alliance (Invited paper) (30 – 31 Aug 2012, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia)
- Mahbubani, Kishore, The Great Convergence: Asia, the West, and the Logic of One World, New York: Public Affairs, 2013. 315 pp.
- Mahbubani, Kishore, N Y Stavros, S A Fritzen and A S T Mary, “The Lee Kuan Yew School” Building a Global Policy School in Asia, Singapore: World Scientific, 2012. 206 pp.
- Mahbubani, Kishore, The New Asian Hemisphere: The Irresistible Shift of Global Power to the East, New York: Public Affairs, 2008. 314 pp.
- Mahbubani, Kishore, Beyond the Age of Innocence: Rebuilding Trust between America and the World, New York: Public Affairs, 2004. 235 pp.
- Mahbubani, Kishore, Can Asians Think?, Singapore: Marshall Cavendish, 1998. 264 pp.