Adjunct Senior Research Fellow
- Contact Details
DID: +65 6790 6453
Fax: +65 6792 4329
Dr Cherian George is an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of Policy Studies. He is also the Director of the Asia Journalism Fellowship, an initiative of Temasek Foundation and Nanyang Technological University (www.ajf.sg). He writes on journalism and politics, freedom of expression, censorship and extreme speech.
He was previously an associate professor at the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information at Nanyang Technological University, where he headed the journalism division. Before moving to academia, he spent 10 years at The Straits Times, where he wrote mainly on domestic politics and media issues.
He has a PhD in Communication from Stanford University. He is also a graduate of the Journalism School at Columbia University, and of Cambridge University, where he read social and political sciences.
- Media, arts and culture
- Director, Temasek Foundation – Nanyang Technological University Asia Journalism Fellowship
- Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Policy Studies
- Freedom From The Press: Journalism and State Power in Singapore, Cherian George, National University of Singapore Press, 2012
- Contentious Journalism & the Internet: Towards Democratic Discourse in Malaysia & Singapore, Cherian George, Institute of Policy Studies (Singapore) and University of Washington Press (USA), 2006
- Singapore: The Air-conditioned Nation. Essays on the Politics of Comfort and Control, 1990-2000, Cherian George, Singapore: Landmark Books, 2000
- Full publication list at www.cheriangeorge.net