Who we are
Third Sector is a non-profit impact investing intermediary that advises governments, community organizations, and funders on how to unlock innovation to solve pressing challenges such as economic mobility for all and the well-being of our children. Since 2011, we have helped over 40 communities implement impact investing and data analytics tools to improve the effectiveness of government spending. Together with our partners, we have transitioned hundreds of millions of dollars in public funding to effective programs that measurably improve the lives of those in need. Our team of 40 works out of offices in San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, and Washington, D.C. In 2018, we established a venture based in Singapore to bring our expertise to the Asia-Pacific.
We are looking for a highly driven, entrepreneurial, and impact-oriented MBA or MPA/MPP student to join our pioneering presence in the Asia-Pacific in Summer 2018. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a startup breaking new ground in the fast-growing impact investing field. You will work directly with the Director of our Asia office in client engagements and special projects that play a critical role in the firm’s growth.
Your primary responsibility will be to support the Director in managing and delivering on client engagements focused on executing new Social Impact Bonds or outcomes-oriented contracts. Engagements may include beneficiary population analysis, government funding stream identification and analysis, data access analysis, economic modeling, readiness assessments, provider analysis, and contract and funding negotiations. Teams travel to client sites on average every other month, and collaborate closely with clients, data partners, and a variety of stakeholders committed to improving lives through social outcomes measurement.
This position is unpaid, but has the potential to lead to a full-time role.
skills and competencies
The skills and competencies for the Summer Manager role reflect the nature of our work, which is analytical, collaborative, and challenging. Successful Summer Managers are creative self-starters who consistently produce client-ready content; are committed to their own learning and growth; and possess the following skills and competencies:
- Research, Data Gathering, and Critical Thinking: An ability to independently design and conduct research, gather data, structure quantitative (primarily in Excel-based models) and qualitative analyses, and draw actionable recommendations.
- Written and Verbal Communication: Strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to create original written content (email, PowerPoint, memos) and deliver verbal presentations in multiple settings.
- Ownership and Project Management: Supports project leads on project management activities, with the ability to independently manage one or more project work streams.
- Creativity, Initiative, and Thought Leadership: Exhibits strong problem-solving skills and proactively contributes to expanding Third Sector’s business and industry knowledge base.
Candidates possessing these skills will typically have had 2-5 years experience in a fast-paced professional setting such as investment banking or management consulting. However, we understand that there are a diversity of settings where these skills can be developed, and are open to considering candidates from different backgrounds.
Our core values are Respect, Rigor, Resourcefulness, Results, and Reflection, and they form the foundation of our firm culture. Third Sector’s leadership is deeply committed to building a culture that delivers professional growth through challenging work, honest and direct 360-degree feedback, and a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. This culture is underpinned by a deep and shared passion for improving the lives of vulnerable people through systems change. Successful team members are naturally aligned with our core values and mission, and possess these skills and competencies:
- Active Listening and Inclusion: An ability to listen with an open mind and a deep commitment to respecting diverse viewpoints.
- Learning Mindset: A desire for continuous improvement and a foundation of self-awareness that provides space for learning and growth.
Please submit an application with your resume and answers to the following questions. Please note and respect the stated word limits for each question.
- What draws you to our work? (200 words)
- You are in Singapore and walk into the lift with the Head of the Civil Service. You have been trying to get on his calendar for months to pitch Social Impact Bonds in Singapore and are thrilled about this opportunity. You have thirty seconds to explain PFS and why it matters. Lay out your SIB elevator pitch. (100 words)
- What are three risks that could prevent wide adoption of SIBs and outcomes-oriented contracting in the Asia-Pacific? What could mitigate those risks? (250 words)
- If you could choose one social outcome to change, which would you choose and why? (150 words)
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates may submit their applications at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label your file (in PDF form) "first name last name summer manager 2018”