CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST - VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: 170319
"Statistics Specialist: Technical Assistance Statistician for MTF/RAS/372/MUL – Asian Regional Component of the Global Strategy to Improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics"
Closure Date: 13/Jan/2018
Organizational Unit: SEDP
Type of Requisition: Consultant
Primary Location: Thailand-Bangkok
Duration: 11 monthsOrganizational Setting
The Regional Office for RAP is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. RAP also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAP develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.Reporting Lines
The Regional Coordinator will report to the FAO Assistant Director-General and Regional Representative for Asia and the Pacific. He/she works under the administrative supervision of the Budget Holder, the technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer and in coordination with the Coordinator of the Global Office (GO) of the Global Strategy to Improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics.Technical Focus
Implementation of the technical activities of the Regional Action Plan of the Global Strategy. Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Assistant Director-General & Regional Representative for Asia and the Pacific, the administrative supervision of the Budget Holder, the technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer and in coordination with the Regional Coordinator of the Global Strategy to Improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics, the incumbent will:
• Contribute to preparation of a detailed work plan, project framework, budget for technical assistance and a monitoring and evaluation strategy for the region.
• Lead the In-depth Assessment and strategic planning process for improvement of Agricultural Statistics System of assigned countries
• Maintain linkages with activities in the Training and Research components of the Regional Action Plan
• Coordinate the implementation of technical assistance activities with Participating Partners and other partners, and build synergy with related initiatives, projects and other technical assistance in the region.
• Oversee the implementation of technical assistance components of the Regional Action Plan, provide back stopping support at country level and regional levels and organise or attend related meetings, seminars and workshops
• Oversee the revision or update of country assessments and maintenance of country profiles, coordinate the preparation of country assessment missions and reports according to Global Office (GO) guidelines
• Contribute to the administration of contracts, with external partners for work outsourced
• Contribute to implementation of the advocacy and communication strategy for the Regional Action Plan.
• Prepare technical reports, articles, working papers, books and documents related to the Regional Action PlanSpecific Functions
• Undertake backstopping missions to provide technical assistance to assigned countries
• Coordinate and supervise the preparation of technical reports, articles, working papers, books and documents related to the implementation of new cost effective methods in the selected countries
• Provide briefing to consultants on relevant technical matters and guide their work at country level to ensure timely delivery and technical quality
• Undertake technical reviews of the methodological documents prepared by consultants or other team members;
• Keep updated with the research outputs of the Global Office published in form of technical reports and guidelines, and provide comments on draft versions
• Perform other related duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in statistics, agricultural economics, economics, or equivalent;
• At least seven years of progressive experience in implementation of statistical capacity development programmes, technical assistance at country level preferably in the region and preferably several years at international level;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous ImprovementAdditional Selection Criteria
• Experience in assessing country statistical capacity and in designing national strategies for development of agricultural statistics;
• Experience in survey design and implementation in a developing country context;
• In-depth knowledge of agricultural statistics methodologies;
• Experience in the United Nations or international organizations;
• Experience working with governments and other stakeholders in developing countries;
• Quality of both oral and written communication skills;
• Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member in complex multi-cultural environments;
• Demonstrated initiative and ability to deliver results within deadlines;
• Familiarity with Global Strategy to Improve Agricultural and Rural Statistics would be an asset
----------------------------- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
• Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: decb64_aVJlY3J1aXRtZW50QGZhby5vcmc=_decb64
• Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
• Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
• For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
• For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: decb64_aVJlY3J1aXRtZW50QGZhby5vcmc=_decb64