An exceptional, entrepreneurial leader to drive IDinsight’s Southeast Asia growth, strategy and operations.
IDinsight applies cutting edge methods in rigorous measurement to help global development practitioners maximize their impact. Our clients are the "best in the business" across sectors, including national governments, top NGOs, and innovative social businesses. We are also innovators in evidence-based global development, with recognition from Forbes, Foreign Policy Magazine, PopTech, and Echoing Green, among others.
- Poultry impact evaluation: A global foundation seeks to measure the impact of supplying improved chicken breeds on small-scale poultry farmers in Ethiopia. IDinsight is implementing a natural phased-in design to measure the effect of these chicken on farmers’ nutrition and income.
- Sanitation Learning Partnership: A UN agency partnered with IDinsight to conduct demanddriven impact evaluations in collaboration with local governments in Kenya and the Philippines to provide actionable evidence that can be used to inform action and improve programs’ impact.
- Mixed-methods education research: An NGO is seeking to better understand and shape their education intervention. IDinsight is conducting semi-structured interviews, classroom observations, and teacher surveys in Uganda to identify school needs, evaluate program implementation, and track perceived program impact.
About the Southeast Asia Regional Director Position
IDinsight is launching a regional hub for Southeast Asia. We expect to grow significantly in 2018, starting from the launch team of 7. Our portfolio of work in the region has focused on the WASH (serving partners in Cambodia and the Philippines for the past 2 years with a small team in Manila) but is in the process of undergoing rapid expansion across multiple sectors (i.e., agriculture, health, education, access to finance, etc) as well as regional geographies. The Southeast Asia Regional Director (SEARD) will help build the IDinsight brand in the region, define and execute IDinsight’s regional nascent strategy, establish close advisory relationships, and oversee the region’s operations and portfolio of projects. The SEARD will be supported by IDinsight’s CEO and Partner team, and will assume responsibility for driving IDinsight’s work and growth in Southeast Asia.
- Strategy: The SEARD will be responsible for designing and realizing IDinsight’s sector-transforming vision for one of its newest regions. As IDinsight’s primary regional representative, the SEARD will grow IDinsight’s exposure and brand, develop new client and initiatives with multiple stakeholders (government, non-profit, multi-lateral), and refine IDinsight’s multi-country model.
- Relationships: Meaningful, trusting relationships represent the foundation of IDinsight’s model. The SEARD will establish him/herself as an expert and trusted advisor to development leaders in the Philippines as well as across the region, to increase program effectiveness and shape evidence-based action in the region.
- Teams and operations: The SEARD will oversee office operations and Manila-based teams. This includes planning for sustainable growth of the team and playing a lead role in hiring for the region, mentoring IDinsight high-performing staff, participating in staffing decisions, and managing the office budget.
- Portfolio of projects: The SEARD will also supervise IDinsight project work in the region, acting as the project director in some (if not all) projects in the region. The SEARD will be responsible for providing strategic support to the project teams and supporting stakeholder management.
Career and skill development is a priority for all IDinsight employees. The SEARD will be expected to take on more organizational investments overtime, leading global efforts beyond just the region. IDinsight’s entrepreneurial culture allows for the role to be tailored to individual passions, goals and preferences. IDinsight is also committed to facilitating work-life flexibility to maximize professional satisfaction and sustainability.
- Deeply passionate about international development and social impact
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD), preferably in public policy, economics, public administration, business or public health
- Interest in using evidence to improve social impact - fluency in impact evaluation a plus
- 10 years of relevant experience, including managerial experience in a developing country (including experience in Southeast Asia)
- Proven ability to be an inspiring leader in a dynamic, multicultural environment and experience in coaching colleagues
- Record of driving organizational growth, especially from “start-up” stage as an early employee
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to connect and form strong relationships with diverse colleagues and stakeholders – a “people person”
- Direct client management experience
- Willingness to travel as needed and work with remote colleagues
- Strong quantitative and critical thinking skills
- Self-starter and quick learner who can hit the ground running
- Thrives in small/medium organization setting, and able to adapt to dynamic growth and change
- Excited to work across many international development sectors
- Lifelong learner with keen intellectual curiosity and sense of humor
- Knowledge of any Southeast Asian regional languages (Tagalog, Vietnamese, Burmese, Khmer, Bahasa Indonesia) a plus
Dependent on relevant experience and background. Highly competitive with similar roles. Benefits include travel budget to return home if relevant, retirement plan, generous leave, relocation allowance, comprehensive international health/dental insurance and medical evacuation, and technology stipend.
Flexible start during 1st half of 2018. Two-year commitment required with growth opportunities beyond.
Please click on APPLY and apply online using application form. You will be asked to submit a cover letter and resume to Cover letter should include an explanation of interest in the SEARD role and earliest possible start date. Please direct any questions to careers@IDinsight.org.
IDinsight reviews applications on a regular basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer.