Post: Program Officer
Terms/Conditions: Fixed-term appointment for three years
The Asian Productivity Organization (APO) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising 20 member countries. With a Secretariat led by the Secretary-General located in Tokyo, Japan, the APO contributes to sustainable socioeconomic development in the Asia-Pacific region by developing and implementing programs throughout the region. We are looking for exceptional people with the right qualifications and experience and who are passionate about shaping the future of the economies of our member countries.
For more about our projects, please visit our website:
Under the direction of the Department Director, you will be a part of a dynamic team undertaking the development, implementation, and evaluation of assigned programs and projects, such as workshops, research, conferences, online courses, study missions, and country-specific projects mainly for but not limited to agriculture, agroindustry, and the food industry.
- Contribute to formulating strategies to improve the agricultural productivity of member economies;
- Develop projects and program plans in the assigned areas or topics along with implementation plans and budgets;
- Prepare project documents while ensuring both timeliness and high-level editorial quality;
- Screen participants and assign qualified experts to achieve project outcomes;
- Act as a subject matter expert in assigned projects;
- Manage project implementation, evaluation, and follow-up activities under the general fund, as well as projects under special cash grants from specific member countries;
- Monitor, review, and report the outputs and outcomes of programs and projects/activities including reviewing recommendations and suggestions of experts and participants;
- Engage in various activities related to APO member countries, including the annual meetings of the APO Governing Body and national productivity organizations, and manage close communication with a specific member country as its country officer;
- Work in assigned cross-functional teams to deliver collective Secretariat outcomes;
- Collaborate with support staff to improve the efficiency of the administrative functions of the Secretariat; and
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the Department Director or Secretary-General.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of eight years of administrative/supervisory experience in management or technological development in the government, public/private corporation, training institute, or institution of higher learning;
- A minimum Bachelor’s degree in agricultural engineering with specialization in farm machinery or related fields from a reputable college or university, with a Master’s degree in the above fields an advantage;
- Good knowledge and experience of digital technology and its applications in agricultural operations and postharvest management and of technology management will be a strong advantage;
- Demonstrated ability in project management as well as the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects involving numerous stakeholders and tight deadlines;
- Experience in working in multicultural teams on projects including conferences, workshops, consultancy, training, and research in the agriculture, industry, and service sectors, particularly in fields related to productivity and/or economic development;
- High level of proficiency in both written and spoken English, with very effective communication skills and proven ability in making presentations to high-level officials and business leaders; and
- A future-oriented perspective.
Please fill out the application form and send it with a cover letter in English stating which position you are applying for, why you are applying, and how you may qualify for the position (if you have any problems in filling out the application, please contact us). No other supporting documents, such as copies of letters, certificates, publications, or writing samples should be submitted, as they will not be considered as part of the application process.
Applications must reach the APO Secretariat at HR-2017C@apo-tokyo.org by the designated deadline.
Only those who are shortlisted will be contacted and application documents will not be returned.