Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The DRR Coordinator will have a strong background in community-based disaster risk reduction (CBDRR) and overall disaster preparedness. S/he will be responsible for the daily management and execution of RI’s integrated WASH, Shelter/NFI, and DRR program in Teknaf. This is a full-time position for a minimum of 1 year. The candidate must have demonstrated experience working in emergencies/refugee settings and should be confident with emergency response.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Program Management and Implementation:
• Lead RI’s disaster readiness program in Teknaf, which will support WASH, Shelter, and DRR activities within the host community
• Work closely with relevant partners at the community-level and other partners to proactively strengthen community-based awareness and early warning initiatives.
• Ensure timely and effective implementation of the program according to approved plans and budgets, regulations and policies
• Conduct needs assessments/vulnerability assessments, and oversee beneficiary selection/identification process
• Ensure engagement and involvement of affected populations, taking into consideration protection, environmental aspects and longer term needs are reflected in the program’s technical design and implementation.
• Scale up program as appropriate, through partnerships, consortiums, or other modalities, to ensure vulnerable populations are reached with life-saving disaster readiness interventions.
• In collaboration with the Cash/Voucher Coordinator and Emergency Response Program Manager, provide cash or voucher transfers and/or NFIs to populations in need if/when deemed appropriate by market conditions
• Manage staff recruitment and procurement associated with DRR, WASH, and Shelter/NFI activities
• Serve as budget holder for DRR program portfolio
• Any other duties as assigned
• Design RI EPP
Representation and Program Development;
• Identify needs and design response. Support the design of new DRR programs. Find new and manage existing partners.
• Represent RI to external partners (inter-agency coordination meetings, UN, corporate or private donors, government representatives) contributing to disaster readiness and emergency preparedness in Cox’s Bazar.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with government, UN, and INGO actors for strategic and programmatic purposes
• Enhance complementary with other sectors when possible, e.g. work to ensure DRR programming is included and integrated into new programs
• Support with grant/proposal writing and budget development as needed
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to implement in emergency response programming and possess an understanding of the flexibility implementation may require.
• Bachelor’s degree in international development, disaster risk management, climate change adaptation, humanitarian assistance, organization development or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Previous experience in emergency response/refugee or camp settings; understanding of UN/international coordination structures essential.
• Previous experience managing/overseeing cash-for-work programs a plus.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
• Good communication skills, written, and spoken, in English. Ability to communicate in Bengali will be treated as an additional advantage.
• A team builder with excellent people skills; culturally sensitive and has the ability and interest to identify and work with a multicultural team.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
• Transparency and Accountability
• Agility and Innovation
Please submit your application package here: https://www.ri.org/careers